As a child and even today, there is something about a slice of warm chicken pot pie that can comfort even the most anxious heart. I remember my mom making 8-10 pot pies at a time for friends, family, and the freezer as everyone raves about how delicious they were. Now since losing her and changing my diet to reflect the Paleo Diet, I was happy to stumble across a recipe by Shanti Landon and tweaked it, so I can fill my belly with that same comfort of mommas original pot pie!
Paleo Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup palm shortening
- 6 Tbsp cold water
- 3 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts (cooked and diced/shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet potatoes
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1/3 cup palm shortening
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 3/4 cup chicken bone broth
- 1/3 cup dairy free milk (almond, coconut)
- Combine almond flour, tapioca flour, salt paprika, garlic powder, and baking powder.
- Cut in the palm shortening.
- Add cold water and mix until smooth
- Chill dough crust in refrigerator while preparing the filling.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a saucepan, heat palm shortening over medium high heat, add onion and mushrooms, cook until tender and translucent.
- While onions and mushrooms sauté, combine tapioca flour, salt, pepper, and paprika in a small bowl.
- Add flour mixture to saucepan with cooked mushrooms and onions.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth and dairy free milk.
- Thicken over medium-heat.
- Add in vegetables and allow to simmer a few more minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once dough is chilled, place half in between two sheets of parchment paper and roll it to the size of pie plate…once finished place in the freezer for a few minutes to chill.
- Take crust out of freezer and remove on piece of paper and place face down into pie plate and remove the other piece as you mold dough to bottom of pie plate.
- Stir together chicken and filling mixture, then pour into crust.
- Take the other 1/2 of your crust out of the fridge and place between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Roll into a circle, place in freezer for a few minutes. Remove, remove one sheet of paper then lay on top of your pie and remove the other.
- Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes, until crust is golden brown. (Use a baking sheet as the filling may bubble over a bit).
- Remove from the oven and cool before serving.