Paleo Instant Pot Pulled Pork by Pressure Cooking Today
1 – 2 tablespoons avocado oil
4 lbs. boneless pork shoulder, (cut in half if using 6qt instant pot)
2 cups barbecue sauce, divided (recipe below)
1/2 cup water
- Select Sauté and add oil to the stainless steel inner cooking pot. When hot, brown pork on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to a platter when browned.
- Add 1 cup barbecue sauce and 1/2 cup water to the cooking pot. Stir to combine. Add browned pork and any accumulated juices to the pot.
- Select High Pressure and set the timer for 75 minutes. When beep sounds, turn off pressure cooker and use a natural pressure release to release pressure (this took approximately 20 minutes). When valve drops carefully take off lid and remove the meat from the pressure cooker and shred with two forks, discard excess fat while shredding. (You can also use your stand mixer to shredded the pork.)
Danielle Walkers Paleo BBQ Sauce
2 cups tomato puree
3/4 cup honey
½ cup white vinegar
¼ cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons coconut aminos
2 teaspoons fish sauce
1½ teaspoons natural liquid smoke
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Place all of the ingredients into a saucepan over medium-high heat and whisk to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, until the sauce has reduced by about half.
- Let the sauce come to room temperature before storing in the refrigerator for later use. The sauce may be stored for up to 1 week.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I might earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these products are readily available, the products I use and not because of the commission I might receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.